Operations Manager – Root Crops (Torpoint, Full Time)
Agricola Growers Ltd
Agricola Growers Ltd
West Antony Farm
Due to growth and reorganisation within the business, Agricola Growers Ltd are on the lookout for an operations manager to assist with the management of the various root and flower enterprises.
- The planting, cultivation, harvesting and storage of the various crops working to an agreed plan in conjunction with the Managing Director and Agronomist.
- Implementation of an agreed irrigation plan.
- Responsibility for meeting appropriate quality requirements through crop inspection and by managing crop grading and storage.
- Liaison with customers to ensure that their needs around timeliness and quality are met.
- Keeping relevant records.
- Overseeing the maintenance and servicing of crop specific equipment ensuring it is ready for use when required.
- Alongside the competitive salary, the position can include a modern three bedroom family house and a farm vehicle.
- Working with the arable manager to ensure that staff are deployed in the most effective way for best overall business performance. The successful candidate will also deputise for the arable manager in their absence and vice versa.
- Day to day management of an experienced team of operators along with seasonal and casual staff carrying out all tasks relating to the areas of specific responsibility.
- Reporting to the managing director and working alongside the arable manager and in house agronomist.
- The successful candidate will be expected to be ‘hands on’ but with the ability to take a strategic overview when required and ‘manage from a distance’.
- The role may suit someone with a formal agricultural qualification and subsequent appropriate experience or someone with solid practical experience of some or all the crops in question. An ability to manage time commitment according to the needs of the business is important as is the ability to communicate effectively at all levels.
Agricola Growers Ltd farm 1500 ha in south east and mid Cornwall growing a range of crops including 800ha combinable crops, 200ha potatoes, 25ha onions and 80ha daffodils plus environmental schemes. There is also a substantial sheep flock. Alongside the farming business a sister company H F Produce Ltd processes potatoes and vegetables for supply into manufacturing bakeries and food service wholesalers within the South West.
Potatoes are grown for a variety of outlets including our own processing, crisping and chipping. Onions are grown to meet some of our processing needs. Daffodil flowers are marketed to UK and European supermarkets while the bulbs are mainly for export into Europe and the United States.